Thursday, June 4, 2009

We are Fa-mi-ly

Today Jackson, Selah, and I drove to Willis, VA to visit their great-grandpa Turman (Jason's grandfather). It was a two-hour drive, but both kids did great. Jason's parents were going to visit for the day, and I'm embarrassed to say that we haven't been to his house in almost 2 years (that's not to say that we haven't seen him...just not at his house). Anyway, now that I'm no longer working (not at an office anyway!) I have the opportunity to do things like drive 2 hours one way to spend an afternoon with family.

And that's just it. FAMILY. Family is so important to me. I realize how fortunate I am to have the family that God gave me. I grew up on my grandparents' farm. All 5 of their kids built houses there. Most of my first cousins also built on that farm, too. I live an hour away, and sometimes I feel like I live in Egypt by comparison. Their lives are so interconnected in that community. Not only do they live together, they also go to church together, volunteer together, and work together. It is so rare these days to have that kind of deep bond with any person, and sometimes when I hear my sister complaining about something one of my cousins said or did I find myself feeling jealous of that relationship. Sure, she's complaining, but it's really just a sign of deep love. When you're that close to someone and your lives are intertwined, they're going to get on your nerves from time to time. The people you love the most can also irritate you the most! It seems like we move so fast now...communicate by text...say hello at church...make small talk before a meeting. The older I get, the more I long for real connection, especially with my family.

Which brings me back to Willis, VA. I was washing dishes in Grandpa Turman's farmhouse kitchen after eating what he called "poorman's dinner" of pinto beans, sliced bread, onion, and boston butt. (We ate at 2:45pm...I was unsure if that was lunch or supper. Old people eat at weird times, don't they?) Standing there at the sink my eyes welled up with tears. I was thinking about what a simple life this man leads, and yet how content he is. It reminded me of my grandparents' simple lives. I remembered many days spent at my grandparents' house eating my granddaddy's favorite butter pecan ice cream and climbing trees with my brother and sister. I deeply miss my grandparents, and I wish that I could have a relationship with them now that I am an adult. I hope they are proud of the woman I became. I know they would want me to continue to value my family and make time for 2 hour trips up the mountain for an afternoon visit the same way my mom makes time to talk to me almost every morning at 7:30 even though she has an unbelievably busy day ahead. I think this is part of what Jesus meant when he said to store up treasures in heaven. I know my grandparents are 2 wonderful treasures waiting on me there.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where theieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where theieves do not break in and steal. " Matthew 6:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment