Monday, December 7, 2009

Lunch dates

Last Thursday Jason called me at about 10:30 and asked me to lunch! I love it when he does this! We never plan lunch dates. He's so busy during the day and always has several lunch meetings (either law business or church business) scheduled each week. He also likes to go to lunch with his fellow attorneys occasionally, too, just to socialize. We each have an "eating out" budget for the week. I typically save mine for busy weeknights when I don't want to cook (or haven't gone to the grocery store) or to take us all out as a family on the weekends. If you peeped in my window at lunchtime during the week, you could probably catch me eating PB&J while standing up or perhaps stealing bites of Selah's food while feeding her. So, to go to a restaurant for lunch is such a treat! Plus, it's a mini-date for Jason and me when we're overdue for a real date night. As long a we keep pushing bits of food Selah's way for her to feed herself, she's pretty content, and we can get in some grown-up talk. Sometimes we talk about church stuff or how our days have been. Sometimes we talk about the kids or debate something really stupid.

It's stuff like this that keeps our marriage strong. We started planning for this church two years ago, right about the time that I got pregnant with Selah. Our lives have been whirlwinds ever since. I told Jason recently that I was so thankful that our marriage has not suffered or weakened during this time. In fact, I think it is stronger. We are working as a team towards common goals. There are a lot of marriages that would not have survived the challenges we've faced in the last 2 years. I really think that God has supernaturally protected our marriage. It takes work supporting each other and compromising for each other, but it is worth it!

I cherish those lunch dates and all the other tiny, creative (inexpensive) things we can do to keep our marriage ticking.

1 comment: