Wednesday, August 26, 2009

When I Grow Up I Wanna Be A...

Sometimes I look at my kids and I wonder what they're going to be when they grow up. Right now, they're full of such potential - they're blank slates. As the years pass they will learn new things, be influenced by friends, teachers, and role models, have successes and failures which will all shape who they become. Also, God has placed unique gifts, like little neatly wrapped presents, inside each one of them that will be revealed as they mature.

Every night before Jason and I go to bed we go in their rooms and check on them. As I watch them sleeping I pray for them and their futures. And then I wonder...

Will Jackson become a world famous chef? Jackson is full of culinary creativity. Tonight he was having a sandwich for supper and wanted Jason to mix together mustard and ranch dressing as his spread. Jason said that it was actually pretty good, and he wants to market it as "rustard". We'll keep you updated on the product development. Here he is cooking pancakes at the beach:and making a birthday cake for daddy:

Of course if you asked him what he wants to be when he grows up, he would probably tell you "a superhero-secret-spy-astronaut, and I'm going to save the Earth from an asteroid". He does make a great superhero. He pretends to be one all the time. He loves helping Selah and saving her from impending dangers, and he also loves "fighting the bad guys."
Here you can see that he has fashioned a computer eye patch (similar to the bionic woman) to help him in his secret spy work.


He would probably be just as happy to be a comedian, because he loves being silly and making people laugh. Case in point:


One Sunday he asked Jason to give him "crazy hair." Jason gladly obliged his request and spiked his hair (probably having a little bit of a father moment that his son wanted to be like him...sniff, sniff). When he got home from church he was so sad. When we asked him why he was upset he said it was because no one had laughed at his hair. Everyone thought it was cool, and he wanted it to be funny. I then told him that I didn't think it was cool; I thought it was very funny and crazy.

Selah, on the other hand, is a different case. She's still so little, it's hard to tell what she has an affinity for yet. Here are my best guesses:

She could be a singer. She loves music and will definitely "sing along" when I'm singing.

I can also see her being a great book critic, combining two of her loves: books and being cranky and hard to please.

Right now, though, she's focusing her energies on becoming a consumer product safety tester, especially in the division of product durability when dropped from various heights on various surfaces. One of her favorite pass times is playing what Jackson calls "the gravity game" (what happens when I drop this object?) Her favorite version of this game is dropping her sippy cup from high-chair height. However, she also loves to dump crayons out of the box from seated-on-the-floor height, and just today pulled a whole shelf of CDs into the floor of our local Christian bookstore from pulled-to-standing height. It's a career that involves a lot of research, but she's willing to do what it takes!


Who knows what they will become? My prayer for them is that, no matter what career they choose, they will be loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled people who have a personal relationship with God and visit their mother often!

1 comment:

  1. Jackson did confirm to me last night that when he grows up, mommy and daddy can live with he and his wife. Mommy and daddy can sleep with Jackson and the wife "can get her own bed somewhere else."
    -Jason

    ReplyDelete